Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Getting Lost


Today I was just having a real urgency to go out and serve. So I told one of my friends and he decided to come along after one of my professors gave a lesson on evangelism. We were planning to do what we have done before, which was talking to people that looked like they could use help. We tried to return to the part of town where we were last time but got completely lost. We actually ended up at a hospital. I started laughing and said, OK! They need help too. Earlier I was thinking of going to a hospital like the movie Patch Adams and then when we got lost at one I started laughing. So me and my friend went around a hospital and got lost in it too. We had no clue what we were going to do there but we prayed to be guided. That didn’t happen lol we thought we could go to a food court but no one was there at 4 so we that ended real fast. We decided to go get a balloon. So I went and purchased a really funny, funny face balloon. I got a piece of paper and wrote down my name and number. We went to the elevator on one of the wings. We really had no clue where we were going or what exactly we were doing just to reiterate. So we got to the third floor went down a hall turned around and asked a nurse, “Who needs a balloon?” they kind of looked at us for a second and then gave us a room number. So we knocked on the door to the patient’s room we came in offering a balloon. Asking how she was doing and talked to her for a while. At first she was very skeptical thinking we were on a routine, doing this for everyone. We told her she was the first. She said things were tough and she needed strength. She said this as she began to cry and talked how it was hard for her and her 8 year old son. She said that is what she needed prayers for (I don’t know if she was a Christian). We then came out of that unit and began to pray. We went down the elevator. And this time my friend bought a balloon. It was the cutest balloon bear ever. We went to a different wing of the hospital, went to the 4th floor and repeated the same thing. This time we met a different lady. We came in gave her a balloon and asked how she was doing. She said, “I’m doing” we talked briefly when we were done she advocated she was a Christian. We held hands and prayed together for her. Earlier today we went out to try and meet people’s physical needs and then trying to help their spiritual needs. It is something totally different when you cannot help person’s physical needs which you are used to making it harder to reach them spiritually. Today was a real humbling day and something we needed to experience. So many people are out there hurting and no one cares about them. I was in a hospital for a few hours today and every patient was alone except for one. That is so lonely and to imagine while a person is intensely sick. This story is not to make people feel sad for others or talk about how unfortunate a situation is. I am sharing this because I hope that it is an eye opener. So many people are stuck in the same room everyday with terrible pain alone. If you want to help someone do it this way.  My pastor quoted Gandhi today saying, “I like your Christ, just not your Christian.” That is such a true statement. As followers of Christ we should try to resemble Christ as much as we can. He spent all his time with the poor and the sick. Today I realized I have forgotten part of His people. I hope you choose to act instead of my mistake. For the people reading this please pray for Suzanne and her son Christopher and Lanle who need constant prayer. Thanks

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful post. :)
    You are right. Too many people fail to represent Christ these days. I am now following your blog. If you want you can follow mine too,
    www.letmewashyourfeet.blogspot.com
    I found you on terribly interesting's site.
    I love her blog!
    Keep doing what you are doing. It means more to people than you could ever know.

    ReplyDelete